Friday, February 13, 2009

The Morning Constitutional

Everyday is the same we go for our little morning walk. Mom get Buddy, he's the service dog that we fostered about 18 months ago, while we wait in the car. Buddy lives with his mom full time now but we all go walk first thing in the morning. Three dogs walking should be an easy feat to achieve, Mom holds leashes we walk and take care of our business as we move along the path.

Inigo is the fly within our ointment nothing goes as it should with Beetle. I try to tell him to walk a straight line leaving the path on the event of a smell that may need some exploring, maybe add to it or possibly refresh yesterdays postings. Inigo runs left to right so often that our leashes become braided. Buddy and I have a leash each, Inigo has a chain. I'm not making this up, he ate though at least three leashes so he now has a chain, it's heavier than he is. He now chews on my leash and as we've already established my left leg.

When I find an explorable scent it's often hard to get to it as I'm often braided to Buddy by Inigo. Once I get to the spot it's necessary to separate the nuances of what was laid down before me. I know the size and breed of the dog before me and get a sense of his general well being. Protocol states that you do not pee on the dog marking a scent-Buddy! It is also good form to keep your head out of an other's stream-Inigo! And don't pee on my poop while I'm pooping it-both of you!

I'm always surprised and I shouldn't be by now, at how well Buddy and Inigo's noses function. I smell the same smells but am left with no compulsion to place the offending source into my mouth. Inigo can do a left weave, scoop up what can only be described as foul and then turn performing a right pass back to Buddy(also known as braiding). Buddy smells his breath his heart sinking with the realization of his own lost score. They actually have come to blows over an old grease saturated napkin. What could it possibly contain that's worth fisticuffs or worse.
And there is always potential for worse. Inigo poops wrappers. I've seen it. Mom and I are lucky if he only poops wrappers. Sometimes he nestles his teeth and tongue around some bacteria infested morsel and poops loose and stinky for days.

Old,discarded,refuse consumption is not something I personally get into. I've never so much as torn open a bag of old garbage let alone snarfed up an old hot dog reanimated by germs. I've come to a place of understanding... that I don't understand. I suppose that's the best I can do, recognize that I don't get it. And you know what? Not having a stink about my ends helps me sleep better.

No comments:

Post a Comment